Every summer I feel like I NEED a summer drink. The one drink that’s a go-to no matter the occasion. Night in doing nothing-yup! Having a backyard BBQ with friends-perfect! Going out for a drink-sounds good! Hanging by the pool-even better! Day drinking-yes yes YES!
Last summer I was on a Rosé kick. The summer before was the Caesar (this is the “Canadian” version of a Bloody Mary made with Clamoto juice, a clam based tomato juice…and it’s AMAZING). And this year it’s Sangria!
Who doesn’t like a nice glass of wine with a little extra alcohol, topped with fruit, and chilled over ice? Just hearing it sounds refreshing. And maybe it has something to do with listening to Blake Shelton serenading me about it…but whatever the reason is, it’s a great drink with limitless options!
So here are my favorite Sangria recipes….
1. Classic Spanish Sangria
-1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
-1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
-1/4 c brandy
-2 tbsp sugar
-2 oranges, sliced
-1/2 lemon, sliced
-1 green apple, sliced
-1 1/2 c seltzer
1. Combine the wine, brandy, and sugar in a pitcher; stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the sliced fruit.
2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to one day.
3. Add seltzer just before serving.
This recipe is EXTREMELY easy and EXTREMELY good!!
2. Sparkling Strawberry Rosé Sangria
-2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
-1 Valencia orange, sliced into thin rounds
-1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
-1 bottle dry, sparkling rosé (750 ml)
-1/4 c brandy (I used Cognac)
-3 tbsp simple syrup
-lemon verbena sprigs for garnish (optional)
-2 c sparkling water
1. In a large pitcher, combine the strawberries, oranges, and lemon slices. Use the end of a wooden spoon to muddle the fruit a bit.
2. In a small glass combine the brandy and simple syrup. Pour this and bottle of rosé over the fruit. Chill for at least an hour, or longer if you can. Just before serving add the sparkling water.
3. Spoon some of the fruit into the glass, pour in the liquid, garnish, and serve!
This recipe is a bit more complex (especially if you decide to make your own simple syrup). But if you love strawberries and sparkling rosé this is definitely the recipe for you!
3. White Sangria Sparkler
-1 bottle (750 ml) white wine
-2 peaches, sliced
-2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
-1 cup raspberries
-3 tbsp sugar or more to taste
-1 bottle (750 ml) sparkling white wine
-8 sprigs mint for garnish (optional)
1. In a large pitcher, whisk together white wine and sugar. Then add in fruit.
2. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
3. Serve over ice with sparkling white wine and garnish with mint.
This recipe is STRONG! It’s wine on top of wine! There’s no juice…so to make it a bit more refreshing I added in white cranberry juice.
4. Non Alcoholic Sangria
-1 Apple, peeled and thinly sliced
-1 lemon, juiced
-1 orange, juiced
-1 orange, sectioned
– 3/4 c cranberry-grape juice frozen concentrate, thawed
-tiny punch ground cinnamon
-3 c seltzer water
1. In a medium pitcher, make the sangria mixer by adding apple slices and lemon juice and stir.
2. Add in the orange juice, orange sections, and cranberry-grape concentrate and cinnamon.
3. Let sit for 1 hour in refrigerator.
4. Just before serving add seltzer to pitcher. And serve over ice.
This is a great recipe if you have kiddos drinking or maybe you’re pregnant. Or maybe you’ve drank too much of the other 3 sangria recipes and need a break! Either way this is a refreshing alternative to regular sangria.
These recipes were taken from Buzzfeed and Cosmo…and modified a bit! But I definitely urge you to modify your recipes to your liking. Make it your own! Add whatever fruit, try adding some vodka, maybe a different juice…the world is your oyster here. Or better the wine is your sangria (did that make sense? Maybe I have too much sangria….).